Thursday, January 29, 2009

CNY Eve at Home

Many of my friends like to ask me via sms or phone what I was doing staying at home during CNY. Well this is a summary of how I celebrate my CNY with my mom.
Let me begin with the CNY eve. Last few years, My family would have gone for a mini reunion dinner at my first aunt place since my grandma was staying there and they cook (my grandma and my cousins) nice delicious food. Anyway, now my grandma is old liau so how can we still ask her to cook for us? Let her relax and enjoy the TV la. So for the last few years, me and my mom just had a simple dinner at my uncle's place la (just one floor below ma so easy).
After our dinner, my mom will start to do last minute cleaning and decorating of the house and I will just hang around and make her headache.
Our simple decoration.... will stay up there till next year liau... see la if next year if my mood is good and 'rajin' go and buy new decorations then mom will have no choice but to change lo.
Then hor later, mom will start to prepare simple food for prayers. Actually Buddhist don't practise this custom but mom said since it was handed down from generation to generation so we just observed lor. By the way the big cake and the gold cow is not for offering, my mom insists to put those for photo purposes.

See, only the pink "huat' kuih, kam and Chinese tea are for offering.
The pink colour cake is call "Huat" kuih (Growing Cake) so if you offer this cake to the 'Ti Kong' or Jade Emperor then hor, your wealth and property will keep on growing and growing lor. The Oranges or "Kam" is same bunyi as 'Gold' so if you offer 'Gold' to the Jade Emperor then Badan Pencegah Rasuah will surely come after you cause how dare you bribe the Heavenly King!!! Ooppss... sorry wrong info, I mean if you offer 'kam' to the Jade Emperor, then you sure to earn lots of money so after pray you better go buy lottery la. The three joss sticks are for.... prosperity kot... and I think the candles are meant to create romantic atmosphere qua... 'Candle light dinner' ma.....
Ok back to my boring story... after praying to the Jade Emperor for health, wealth, long life, good luck, prosperity and an opportunity to transfer back to Penang this year. My mom feels that since we hardly pay respect to our local deities and almost all the temples in Penang were open to the public till the next morning on CNY eve, we should go and seek extra blessing from the Deities to get extra power and energy energy so that I can get back my 'unclaimable' allowance and transfer back to home la hehehe!

Aiyo!!! See la so far........ I have to climb high, climb low until 'big sweat, small sweat' at last also can reached lor, That is our local 'Tua Pek Kong" Big Grand Uncle's Temple.


CNY ma so lots of red lanterns.....

Lots of big long joysticks... Ooopsss... I mean JOSS STICKS light usually by businessmen and businesswomen so that their business become more and more 'Ong'.


The prayer hall from the left there is 'Kuan Kong', Tua Pek Kong in the middle and the Compassionate Goddess of Mercy.


Some devotees beliefs that by burning this 'kim chua' or Gold paper as an offering to the deities well ensure good luck and prosperity for their family.


Offering of candles and joss sticks to the deities


Big Grand Uncle's altar... 'Poh pi Poh pi' Blessed me blessed me.... dearest Big Grand Uncle blessed my friends and me so that we can get back OUR money.... Thank you very much....


This is the Goddess Of Mercy.... Please blessed me so that I can transfer back to Penang.....



After seeking blessing from the dieties, we proceed to the 'Kaw Ong Ya' Nine Emperor Gods' temple located just a few steps up from the 'Tua Pek Kong's Temple.

Here, everything is 'kuning' the lanterns also yellow...... not very sure why.....

This is one of the 'Mui Sin' Guardian deity of the door.....


This is his partner also "Mui Sin" so artistic and colourful

Here is the main altar of The Nine Emperor Gods.... candles also yellow

Closer view of the Nine Emperor Gods Images

After fish seeking blessing... we walk back home and I start to play with my camera again lor....

Ok la I am not so pretty la.... just wanna make sure that my camera is in good order ma... cannot meh!
Hahaha! And hor one of our house pets come out to wish us Gong Xi Fa Cai leh.....




Big leh? Happy New Year to you too!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Cengkih78 said...

buddy,

cicak tu, ur pet ka or accidently ada kat situ then u snap the photo?? since when u suka cicak nie?

like ur photos about celebrating chinese new year, its like tgk documentary journal kat majalah. kuddos!

Alice said...

nice twin...
oi..i'm down with flu, sore throat, bukan makan byk oren, but the weather is too hot and I'm melting....

Doralin Lee said...

Eh!!! Selene nie... tentu la itu bukan pet saya... dia rela posing kat dinding tu bagi saya tangkap gambar, saya pun tangkap la.

Dia pun nak glamour juga ma. Tak pa la bagi dia masuk blog aku la mana tahu ada peminat Cicak Man kat sini. hahahaha!!!!