Sunday, February 1, 2009

CNY Part 2

For the First day of CNY, I went to visit my grandma at my aunt's place then later I went back and visit the dream land until my mom wake me up at around 4 pm to go to my mom's 2nd sis house for steamboat. After stuffed ourselves until full, we went home.

2nd day of CNY, I went to my mom's brother's house for lunch then my mom youngest sis' family came and we watched TV till around 3. After that I went home eat my ice cream with my mom and again I went to my favourite land.... the dreamland. Waken up by my mom around 8 p.m. (GOSH!!!!!) and went to had my dinner.

3rd day of CNY, mom woke me up early... we went to visit my grand aunties and grand uncles. Later mom bring me to the oldest 'Kuan Yin' Temple or Goddess of Mercy temple in town. There's lots of legends and interesting stories about this temple but I will not waste my time telling that here.


The Oldest Kuan Yin Temple in Penang. See some more big long joss sticks and so smokey. That means so very the many people come here to play play Err..... I mean pray not play.

Many people praying to Kuan Yin at the main hall. See la this is what we call Malaysians.... In the temple also simply put their gold paper offering everywhere and make the table so messy. Those poor deities all sure 'pening' cause have to look at it almost everyday. "Woi! Eyesore you know! Malula sikit!'


The image of Kuan Yin and other deities that I don't know. Actually this is a Buddhist Cum Taoist temple la. One of the unique thing about Chinese is that, they mix Buddhism and Taoism together like rojak and ABC until they themselves also don't really know whether they are actually Buddhist or Taoist. As for me, I am actually Buddhist but won't really mind hanging around Taoist temples, Hindu temples and even churches as long as I am welcome.


See what I mean, those people will just put their offering everywhere even the poor old Dragon pole have to hold the gold paper for them..... Malaysians...


This is an image one of the Saints in Buddhism but I don't know what his name is... Buddhism have many 'cabangs' or sects ok, this Saint is not in my sects so i don't know la.... You think I am wikipedia ah?

Ah.... There are many many Buddhism Saints and Taoist Deities here... too huge la the altar until I cannot take photo of the whole altar. See they can live in harmony, united, multi cultural, multi religion.... don't you just feel proud to be Malaysian? Hehehehe!



This is another Taoist deity with all those.....(how should I explain this...) ok the pink, red and yellow papers things on the table.




According to the Taoist belief, if your zodiac sign 'cheong' or in the bad luck side so you need to 'sek tai shuey' sort of "Upacara buang nasib malang" or a ritual to wash away all the bad lucks, bad omen and all the bad bad news la . So this things are used to wash all the bad luck for that person la. I think you have to write down your name, date of birth and maybe time of birth. Then the witch doctor will take the thing and chant something in Hokkian and put it in front of the deities for blessing.

Ha... this is my Dearest Tua Pek kong again and the uncle is praying for more 'ong'. Good luck uncle, if kena lottery atau empat ekor atau toto don't forget to give me a treat ha....

After praying (and taking photos like a tourist). We walk back to our car under the scorching hot sun.

This is the St. George's Church beside the Chinese Town hall. A heritage building built during the colonial time.
Our last destination, the Mahindarama Buddhist Temple. A Sri Lankan Buddhist Temple near my house.


The image of Buddha and behind it is a Bodhi tree, or enlightenment tree. This tree has it own history as well. Long story though.

Fences of the temple ground.

drawings of heavenly beings on the roof of the main hall.


The image of Buddha in sitting meditation posture and image of Buddha in reclining posture. The Buddha is not sleeping here but he is meditating in a reclining posture.
Notice that in Taoist cum Buddhist (TB) temples, you will see lots of gold paper and joss sticks offering. There are also many different kinds of deities in TB temples. In a Buddhist temple, you don't see any offering of gold papers (Buddhist do not practise burning gold papers as an offering) less joss sticks and mainly only Buddha images in the temple.
Image of The Buddha standing posture on alms round.

Image of The Buddha in standing posture. The up rise hand means blessing to all beings.
As we are on our way home at Jalan Masjid Negeri......
You see la this car... potong lane like this, apa la........ you think your grandfather's road ah?

Penang State Mosque. Actually very beautiful one but sorry ha I took this photo in a moving car so not that pretty lor.
After our lunch.... again I went back home to visit the dreamland till around 7 p.m. Again my mom woke me up and we went for our reunion dinner with my uncles and aunties (Mom side) at the Fisherman's Wrath.
Wah! Got VIP room some more


Ok everyone stop eating and say cheese!!!!!


Me and my beloved mom (Ok I know, I am fatter than my mom... must go on diet la....)

My mom's youngest sis family


Mom's younger brother's family

My mom's 2nd sis and her hubby don't like to take photo one so no photo here....

PS: I very the miss all of my relatives now that I am back at KKB!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uwahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

1 comment:

Cengkih78 said...

buddy,

u know how to make me laughed. full sense of humour. by the way, i lost count of your 'buddha' god-(es) so many temples you went to and so many buddha with different clothes. memang multicultural-lah.

ahahaha..happy CNY buddy