Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Who are you talking to?

I was talking to my friend, AW yesterday and suddenly this topic creep out. This is part of our conversation if I can still remember, it's not 100% though.

AW: I tell you ha, I really hate it la, whenever I go out with my sighted friends lets say for lunch ha, those waiter/waitress will always ask my friends what I want to order and I am just sitting there beside my friend. What they think I cannot talk ah? Really hate it la as if I am so stupid!
Me: Yalo, Yalo, really geram only la! What they think we blind people don't have mouth or what? Why must ask the sighted people to ask us what we want? So silly! I really cannot understand them!
AW: Oh! You also kena before is it? You also feel it ah? But you not Buta what, you rabun what?
Me: Ceh! Rabun ka? Buta ka? The Kad kebajikan also put there Cacat Penglihatan what, why they din put there Rabun? You ever heard of Kad Rabun before meh?
AW: Yalo hor Hahahahaha!
Me: Anyway, many times already la when ever I went out with the blind gang, the waiter or waitress will always ask me 'What drinks they want to order?" Come on la, why need to ask me? They are just sitting there ma, you can just ask them ma, why ask me? As if those blind people cannot make their own order.
AW: Yala! I really hate that la so stupid but ha when I was in Philippines, these issue never happen to me. The Philippines are more polite to the blind. They will just come and ask you what you want.
Me: Oh yes ah? You know ha, a few years back ha, I went to Kota Raya with a rabun friend that looks more sighted than me to buy an umbrella. It was me that wanted to buy the umbrella but the silly shopkeeper keep on telling my friend 'You suruh dia beli ini la, ni bagus punya, you bagi tahu dia ini murah punya tak mahal bla bla bla...' Wah! I am just standing beside my friend and she ask my friend to repeat everything to me? As if I cannot understand her. Then never mind la the worse is, after buying that umbrella and when we are just about to leave the shop. The lady ask " You jaga dia punya ka?" Walao eh!!!!! Do I look like I need someone to jaga me? What every blind people so helpless and always need people to jaga them izzit?
AW: Stupid la this people. Got one time I really so angry and I give back that guy back cukup-cukup but actually is not that poor guys fault la is another person but still who ask him to be so annoying?
Me: Wah! You so daring but ha if we make noise and give back, then those people will say this blind people so sensitive la so rude la, this la that la but they never put themselves in our position.
AW: Yala they don't think what if they are treated like this what will they feel then? Stupidla I tell you.

Honestly speaking, I am quite annoyed and i know that most of my friends are uneasy when they are treated this way. Yes the are blind but that doesn't mean that they cannot make their own order or choose what they want. They can understand every word that you say and they do not need a third person to repeat what you have said.

May be to many of you, this is only a small matter and not worth to make a fuss about. I am not making a fuss here but just to make you people understand that blind people are also people and need your respect. Just imagine, if you go into a restaurant and the waiter totally ignored you and just ask your friend to ask you what you want.... how would you feel?

Imagine if you go in a shop to buy something and the shopkeeper keep on asking your friend to repeat what he/she had said and then ask your friend to show you the product.... what will you feel..... Just think to yourself.....

We are not invisible people la.....

3 comments:

Alice said...

cool...cool down my fren.
This is call discriminate. Give them a good lecture for being too ignorant and insensitive

Cengkih78 said...

my anna d king..

like ur issue. keep writing something like that. this can be some kind of OKU perspective. let so called normal person how to be more sensitive with OKU feelings.

good work anna

Doralin Lee said...

Eh! Twin, Wah! I sound so fierce one ah? Scarry....