Sunday, May 17, 2009

Penang Trip Day 2: Kek Lok Si Temple & Penang National Park

We woke up quite early in the next morning, around 7.30 a.m. I think, then we saw that it was raining heavily outside and the sky is quite dark. We felt a bit disappointed cause we plan to go to Taman Negara or Penang National Park (Yes, Penang has a mini National Park also.) after our breakfast. We thought there goes our short holiday. Luckily at last we suggested to go to Kek Lok Si Temple first.

The moment we reached there, the rain had already turned to a drizzle and we were quite happy about that. I have not been to Kek Lok Si for more than 10 years already although I stay somewhere near there. I don't think that I can ever forget that moment cause.... so embarrassing la, my RM 9 pasar malam slipper was so slippery that I fall on my butt twice while going down the steps!!! Chrispy was laughing non stop, bad Chrispy! then I had to hold on to her all the way down to the car park.

On the way to the Temple (if you were travelling on foot) you surely have to go through many flight of steps and you can buy many souvenirs from the stalls along the way. The catch here is, it really pays, if you can speak penang Hokkien cause you will surely get a good bargain there. The advice here is, if you have no intention to buy the goods there, please do not try to bargain with them or else you will surely get a free scolding from those aunties or uncles.


The famous Kek Lok Si Pagoda. An unique structure that combine the Chinese, Thai and Burmese architecture.


Once you reached the temple, you will come to a large pond full of tortoises. You can feed those tortoises with "kangkung'. There is an uncle selling 'kangkung' beside the pond.



Yeah!!!!!! Stop raining already let's go sunbathing!!!!!!!!!

The temple ground. Nice landscape huh?


One of the many temple buildings.



I feel like I am in China or Taiwan already la.....



Prayer hall. The Buddha image in the middle and the two famous Bodhisattvas on the left and right. (This is a Mahayana Buddhist temple. A Theravada Buddhist Temple usually display Buddha images only but hardly the image of Bodhisattvas)

Wah! Really so antique la... Am I really in Penang now???


Bodhisattva Kuan Yin


Look nice picture of the pagoda but.... Hey!!! got two unwanted backdrop here... really spoil my photo only these two fellows.


My tired face and the Pagoda

Some more Buddha and Bodhisattvas images

This scene shows Buddha Gotama giving His first sermon to the 5 monks in Sarnath, India.


I am not sure what image is that, maybe it's Bodhisattva Kuan Yin.

I love this picture cause I can see my home from here!!!!
_______________________________________________
Since the weather was so kind to us, we proceeded with our plan to visit the one and only Penang Mini National Park. That was the first time I've been there, I've heard of this place before but never really been there.

Picture taken at the registration counter. It is free to go into the park but you must register with the forest rangers first. This was a precaution taken to ensure that no one get lost in the park.
'Manalah tahu, tersesat dalam hutan ke, kena baham biawak ke. malu je muka kena masuk headline dalam surat khabar Hehehehe!'

Actually there are two ways that you can go in the park, one by jungle trekking and another way is to rent a boat. The minimum cost is RM 120 per boat (for one stop. You have to pay more if you want to visit other interesting spot), the boat can fit in about 12 people so it is better that you join with other group to even out the cost.
We cannot find anyone to share out the cost so we plan to go on foot to the nearest stop (Pasir Panjang that takes around 45 minutes on foot)
Taman Negara here I come!!!!!!!

We were very energetic at first. Talking and laughing all the way but once the road gets harder to walk full of tree trunks, rocks and uneven grounds (jungle ma what you expect? A nicely tiled road ah?" I started to make noise hehehe! scared that I fall on my butt again ma....


My tired face taking a short rest.
Around 45 minutes, we managed to reached Pasir Panjang.


Chrispy and Me at the hanging bridge of Pasinr Panjang
At first, we decided to go a bit further at least on of the nearest stop.

Eh! Where should we go? left or right?

One of the famous spot in the park is Pantai Keracut (2 hours on foot and 30 minutes by boat). The spot is famous because there is a turtle sanctuary, so many people want to go there to look at the turtles. Other famous spot is the Monkey Beach but I doubt there is any monkey there.

So peaceful......
Some fishing area I think...

Hi! I am human not a monkey......
Chrispy was tired and keep on complaining of aching legs already so at last we decided to go back lor. I'll definitely come back again, this time I am taking the boat to Pantai Keracut!!!! Anyone wants to join me?????

No comments: